The Oregon Department of Transportation has released a call for applications for Safe Routes to School program grants. Applications are due June 15, 2016.
$300,000 is available per year for (non-infrastructure) SRTS Programs beginning FY2017 (October 1, 2016). This is a competitive call for applications; apply for up to $50,000 per year, for up to 3 years. There is a 12% match requirement.
The goals of a SRTS Program are to increase the ability and opportunity for K-8 students to walk, bicycle, and roll safely to and from school; promote a culture of walking and bicycling to/from school and encourage a healthy and active lifestyle; and facilitate the planning, development and implementation of projects that will improve safety and reduce traffic, fuel consumption and air pollution within two miles of the school.
Who should apply?
- School districts or schools
- City, county, regional government agency, transit district or other unit of local government
- A non-profit organization in partnership with a school district or schools
Priorities for this funding cycle:
- Applicants who have not previously been a recipient of SRTS program funding
- Title I Schools (where at least 40% of students are enrolled in the free and reduced lunch program)
- School sites where there have been walking and biking infrastructure improvements within 1 mile of the site within the last 10 years
- Benefiting school(s) or school district wanting to implement a SRTS Action Plan rather than start the process to create one
- Application to fund a SRTS Coordinator position
A SRTS program is built around the strategies of the 6 E’s: Education; Encouragement; Enforcement; Equity; Evaluation; Engineering. Note that this application is NOT for engineering projects, which are an activity of the ODOT STIP Enhance process.
DEADLINE: June 15, 2016 (postmarks accepted, USPS, FedEx)
July 31, 2016 Notification of grant awards
October 1, 2016 Start date with contracts signed
Please read through the Guidelines and Application to learn about the priorities for this cycle.